Sunday, January 10, 2016

Reflections on 2015

I stole this listicle of questions from Annie Parsons' blog. It was actually a great way to reflect on 2015 and think about the year ahead.

1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Took up photography, visited 5 new states, saw the Canadian Rockies, drove along the coast of Laguna Beach, went mountain biking in the hills of Knoxville, TN.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any resolutions in 2015. There have been years that I have and years that I haven't joined in the tradition. For 2016, I am resolving to make more changes in my diet and exercise routine. I am also resolving to take small actions when I feel personally convicted rather than just form an opinion. For example, from what I know about Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, I have decided to not shop at either establishment. Not because it will really affect them if they lose my business, but because saving a few dollars is less important than knowing what I'm supporting. No soap box speech here, I'm just trying to follow through on what I believe.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Oh, man. Lots of babies but the ones that come to mind are: Luke Grayson, June Butler, Moses Garalde
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Lenny Muckle was a member of the Ambassadors family, so all of us in the organization felt the loss.
5. What countries did you visit?
Most of my travel was around the US, but I went to four Canadian provinces including a trip to Ottawa, the capital.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you didn’t have in 2015?
I would like to live in a house, possibly my own.
7. What dates from 2015 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm pretty sure it was August 29. I woke up to a windstorm outside and a boat had broken loose from the dock on the lake where I was staying. I ran out into the wind and rain and several of us and a neighbor were able to get the boat unstuck and out of the water with minimal damage. That was a crazy day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I identified a need in my organization, proposed a role to fill the needs, and took the work position because it seemed to fit my strengths and interests. That felt great.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I felt I didn't achieve very many of the goals I set for myself as a soccer camps director so it was hard to leave that job feeling as if it was unfinished and not where I'd hoped it would be.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a hamstring injury for a couple months and shoulder tendinitis that was quite annoying. Other than that, it was a pretty healthy year.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought a 2010 Ford Explorer. I have been surprised how often I have been able to use the extra cargo space and how often I'm on rough, snowy or dirt roads.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Isaiah Bird, a wrestler with no legs and his coach.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
As much as I love soccer, fan behavior is constantly disappointing.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Not much money came in, so not much money went out either.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I really enjoyed traveling through the Canadian Rockies. That is an area that I have wanted to travel to for a long time and the scenery was truly breathtaking. I will go back for sure if I get a chance.
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
Major Lazer & DJ Snake - Lean On (feat. )
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier. Fatter. Poorer. (What does this mean? I spent money on more food for happiness?)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Read. It seems like I always have a stack of unread or partially read books that I don't get around to spending time with.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Staying up late watching TV or surfing the net when I could've been getting some needed z's.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my favorite family, the Ylvisakers.
21. Did you fall in love?
Nope.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I watch TV more for sports than programs.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No.
24. What was the best book you read?
It was a book we went together as a staff called Mastering the Management Buckets by John Pearson.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I am not really young enough to be a Kiesza groupie, but I saw her live in Ottawa and she is a great singer and performer.
26. What did you want and get?
I have wanted a camera for a long time and was lucky enough to be able to use a donated Canon Rebel T3i for most of the year.
27. What did you want and not get?
Eh. There are lots of things that I wanted but the desire quickly faded. Probably an electronic drum set is something I was trying to save up for but kept getting outweighed by other needs and wants.
28. What was your favorite film of 2015?
The Martian
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was in Indiana, coaching soccer at a tournament. I turned 37.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Reaching my fundraising goals for the year.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2015?
I rediscovered hats, so most of my outfits were built around my headwear.
32. What kept you sane?
My men's CLC group that meets every week on Friday at 6am!
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
The trend towards Americans being alarmist and thinking all Muslim people in the United States are terrorists.
34. Who did you miss?
My friends from Seattle.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Every summer I get to meet a great group of coaches from all over the world.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
God uses the people who he chooses, not the smartest or most capable or with the most abilities.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert, you can remember your name
For there ain't no one for to give you no pain
2015 was a strange but necessary transitional year where I felt stretched and shaped and had to deal with some issues of pride, fear and control.

No comments:

Post a Comment